Re: ECHO Audiofire12

On Sun, 14 May 2023, Chris Caudle wrote:

On May 14, 2023 1:02 AM, David Kastrup <dak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

      Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
      Try using buffer sizes 192/96/48/24/12 instead of 128/64/32/16.
      I've
      had success with several other cards in that manner.

I have had problems in the past with buffer sizes which are not power of 2.
I don't remember if it was jackd, Ardour, or both which require power of 2.
Maybe that limit no longer applies, but something to watch out for.

I think both jackd and Ardour will deal with odd buffer sizes, but not all jack clients and not all plugins. A jack client will make jackd seem not to work.... and a plugin may manage to crash Ardour. The latest batch of ALSA programers seem to have forgotten it's roots. Pipewire has gotten around it because they don't use device interupts. They can give jack clients whatever buffer size they like so long as the entire buffer is big enough. That is probably not an entirely correct assesment. All I know is that jack with ffado is rock solid. I have managed to run jackdbus with the ffado backend at 16/2 for three or four days with no xruns. My ice1712 device comes pretty close but the Audiofire has much better sound.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net