Re: Rotary speakers

Christopher Arndt <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Am 20.02.23 um 19:18 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> I actually have a Solton Turbojet ...
>
> Incidentally, I'll be probably picking up an old Echolette ME II,
> which came up locally for a reasonable (I think) price.
>
> It has a transistor amp, so it's not as gritty as a tube Leslie, but
> it also sounds very nice on guitar and, I expect, on electric
> piano. Using just the bass rotor, it almost goes into Roland jazz
> Chorus territory.

The Turbojet is also solid state.  It had the disadvantage that the high
frequencies were "blown away" even with in chorus mode.

The Echolette may have piezo tweeters for that part of the range and
avoid that problem.  Not sure.

I've changed drivers, deflectors, and crossover so I am nowhere near the
original anymore.  By now the result is pretty faithful in its sound
reproduction: that wasn't really the case originally, making it a
lacklustre match for reproducing accordion (which has a broad overtone
spectrum) but worked for stuff like Hammond organs where you can just
counter the coloring with the drawbars.

>> I digress.  What I was getting up to is that a rotary effect has one
>> advantage over an actual rotary speaker: lack of motor noise.
>
> I not sure whether I'll use the cabinet much for recording since the
> drum and horn are quite noisy on this model, but I guess it's a matter
> of careful microphone placement and using a noise gate and hiding the
> noise in the mix.

A side chain noise gate will be the ticket here, I guess.

--
David Kastrup