Re: seeking a creative songwriting solution.

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 12:36:22PM -0400, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2022, Chris Caudle wrote:
>> Karen,
>>
>> There seems to be some confusion about exactly what you would like
>> (or at least I am a little confused), so perhaps some clarification
>> can help.
>
> Glad you are owning  your confusion at least. smiles.

Karen, the way that you asked the question was somewhat confusing.

>From the way you asked it, it seems you may not be familiar with Rick
Moen's article (later expanded by Eric Raymond), "How To Ask Questions
The Smart Way": http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I would recommend reading that article.

Anyway...

In *outline*, with today's technology, there is broadly speaking only
one way to achieve what you desire.  And that is to convert your voice
to MIDI data, to edit/arrange the MIDI data, and to finally output that
MIDI data as musical scores (for musicians/orchestra to play), or as
audio (using MIDI synths/samplers).

-  A pitch-to-midi tool.  Most likely this will be a software package of
   some kind.  Some such tools may do real-time pitch-to-midi
   conversion; others may analyse (monophonic) recordings, and output
   MIDI.

   Either way, the tool will take audio of a voice as input, and will
   output either a MIDI file or a MIDI stream.

-  If your tool outputs a MIDI stream rather than a MIDI file, you will
   need to capture that stream into a MIDI file.

-  Once you have a MIDI file, you can load it into a MIDI sequencer and
   perform whatever edits/arrangements/etc you desire.  Typically, you
   can preview what the resulting edit/arrangement will sound like, by
   playing the MIDI data from the sequencer into a MIDI synthesizer or
   sampler.

-  If you are happy with the audio output from the synth/sampler, you
   can record it as your final output.  Otherwise, you could record it
   into a multitrack recorder for further editing/mixing/mastering.

-  If the sequencer supports displaying/printing MIDI files as musical
   notation (e.g. Steinberg Cubase does), then you can print the
   resulting musical scores.

   Otherwise, you will need to load the MIDI files into a separate piece
   of software in order to turn the MIDI into printable musical scores.

Which specific package to use for each of the steps is a matter of
choice.

Other people on this list can perhaps make recommendations.

Hopefully, that is helpful!

Sam