Re: anyone with water cooled experience?

On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 11:21:36AM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2022 09:24:06 -0500 "Chris Caudle" wrote:
>> I am interested in getting a computer quiet enough for audio work,
>> but still powerful enough for video rendering as well.
>>
>> Usually the second part means noisy fans.  Has anyone on the list
>> used a water cooler system to  move the heat out to a radiator that
>> can be cooled with larger slow turning fans?  I don't want to invest
>> in a water cooling system only to find out after I get it that it
>> hums loudly from the water pump, or the radiator fans aren't actually
>> very quiet, or it makes gurgling or swooshing noises, etc.
>
> No WC experience here, but I've built a silent PC.  I got a Fractal
> Design case, a Zalman CPU fan that at its low speed is absolutely
> silent, and a fanless GPU card.
>
> My CPU runs in the 40-50C range consistently and the GPU rarely goes
> above 45C.  I've been really happy with it for years now.  I don't
> think WC would have been any better.

^ This.

As you fear, some WC systems can be noisier/louder than air-cooled
systems.

Incidentally, if audio/video transcoding is part of your workflow, you
may find Intel's Quick Sync feature useful, especially if your CPU is a
new-ish model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

It seems to be even more energy-efficient than Nvidia's equivalent
(NVENC; NVDEC):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVDEC

QuietPC is a vendor of - and also a good guide to - quiet PC components:

https://www.quietpc.com/

(Not an endorsement, just a statement of fact.  I have no relationship
with QuietPC.)

Sam