Re: GxPlugins.lv2, Wayland and X (Was: Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 140, Issue 9)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Dominique Michel wrote:

Le Tue, 9 Oct 2018 08:42:46 -0700 (PDT),
Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

getting used to  :)   No I am not suggesting a return to motif or
fvwm...

I am using gentoo with fvwm-crystal in its svn version from years, and
is very happy with it. fvwm with the fvwm-crystal themes just work and

I always liked fvwm. I take it -crystal adds something to that. When I last tried fvwm, The menu had to be hand rerolled after installing a new application for it to appear in the menu, though the utility for doing so did seem to get it right.

is never in my way. Also, the fvwm-crystal applications menu is the only
one I know that have full support for the additional categories of the
freedesktop menu norm (it is even better than the debian menu system
for that and just work out of the box), and it never appended I lost a
customization of that menu. These application menu concerns are the
main reason why I begun to use fvwm-crystal: I hate to redo what I have
already done, and I hate to do what should be done automatically by
desktops that pretend to follow the freedesktop normalisation.

gnome and xfce (which both use the same broken system menu config file) do not work well and the menu editors that go with them are both not that good. KDE's old style menu works quite well. (their menu config is correct) It is unfortunate that the freeddesktop site has the same bad file as an example on their web site though the following paragraphs make it plain it wouldn't work.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net