Re: Synthfest Uk 2018

Hi Will,

On 18/10/18 20:56, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 21:01:37 +0200

[...]

Yes I know. However, some people prefer Yoshimi :@)
Also, (just my personal opinion) I find a multi part, multi synth engine an
extremely poor fit for a plugin, and a rather awkward and inefficient way of
using both the host and the synth.

I do think that the 'multi' version of Yoshimi LV2 is usable if the host (e.g. like Arodur) supports a MIDI bus (or similar concept) and can see the use case for it. One of the key advantages IMHO of using it as a plug-in is that if you are in a production scenario (i.e. non-live) you can then 'export' the final piece/result directly as an audio file.

Indeed using the 'jack paradigm' does mitigate this (and potentially makes the work environment more flexible and modular which is good from various points of view). I actually wonder how feasible it would be to have an application-independent to-file jack 'sink' able to generate an audio file of all connected audio inputs (but including midi) - and yes sorry I derailed a bit there, but the topic mentions synths so... :)

Lorenzo.