Re: Jack & pulse...knickers in a twist.

Ok, so I modified my script to:

#!/bin/bash
set -x
killall -9 jackd jackdbus
jack_control ds alsa dps capture none dps playback none
jack_control dps device hw:PCH
jack_control dps rate 48000
jack_control dps nperiods 2
jack_control dps period 256
jack_control start
pactl unload-module module-udev-detect
pactl unload-module module-alsa-card
pactl unload-module module-jackdbus-detect
pactl load-module module-jack-sink client_name=PulseOut channels=2 connect=no
pactl load-module module-jack-source client_name=PulseIn channels=2 connect=no

jack_connect system:capture_1 PulseIn:front-left
jack_connect system:capture_2 PulseIn:front-right
jack_connect PulseOut:front-left system:playback_1
jack_connect PulseOut:front-right system:playback_2
set +x

This produces exactly what I'd expect and, so far, appears well behaved and reproducable.

But, some questions:

1.) The pulse in/out are labelled front-left, front-right.
The script does not mention these labels, so where did they come from.
(There nothing in the output of aplay -l or -L with these either.)
(And, where does playback_1/_2 come from?)

2.) Aplay -l or -L lists a bunch of devices. For example PCH is actually capable of surround sound and there are 2 hdmi devices, and there is spdif as well.
How do I get system:xxxx to show more of the on board outputs?