Re: Microphone advice

gnome at hawaii.rr.com (david) writes:

> Good evening!
>
> I currently don't have a microphone of any sort. I don't generally do a
> lot of audio recording, but I do sing (sort of), play a Garcia Concert
> Model 3 nylon string classical guitar, and occasionally do silly things
> like play my collection of wind chimes ...
>
> So - what would be a good, reasonably-priced mic for those uses?

"Reasonably-priced" is in the mind of the beholder...

If you are singing while playing guitar, hypercardioids are nice to
have: you want to record guitar and singing independently, and a
cardioid microphone has its principal direction of suppression at 180
degrees: that would make it rather hard to point one microphone to voice
while suppressing guitar and vice versa.

A hypercardioid has a more suitable direction of suppression.

It's actually also nice to have when recording guitar only since you can
then mask out breathing noise.

Problem is that for several other recording tasks, cardioids are nice.

Personally, I have an Oktava-MK02 MSP-6 set (matched small diaphragm
condenser mics with hypercardioid, cardioid, and omnidirectional
capsules).  But even though they are reasonably priced for their
quality, they can no longer in good conscience be called exactly highly
affordable (which they were at one point of time).

If you are not going for whole sets, a narrow cardioid is likely to be
your best bet (wide cardioid just doesn't work well for suppressing
feedback or close interference like breathing).

--
David Kastrup