Re: New Computer

On 05/16/2018 06:16 AM, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 21:58:20 -1000
david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Silent/fanless probably wouldn't work here. Hawaii's average temp is a
bit warmer than the UK, and we have no air conditioning.

Mine used to have a fanless power supply. It stayed reasonably cool
(until it died) but contributed nothing to cooling the array of hard
drives that are in the box.

There are two very large fans in the case which were barely moving, and also a
very slow one on the CPU heatsink (not the default AMD one). When I did that
Rosegarden compile (all 8 CPUs pegged) the CPU fan moved just a sniff faster.

My case has 4 fans plus CPU fan. Plus 5 spinning hard drives. The fans run a lot to keep temps reasonable in our non-airconditioned Kapolei house.

The socket will take a Ryzen 7 and the PSU and heatsink are more than capable.
I doubt whether I'll bother though the performance is better than my needs for
the foreseeable future :)

Yah, but I like to make large panoramas and the software I use supports
multicore/multithread CPUs very well. A Ryzen 7 or Threadripper would do. :)

I would think so - that's where these really shine, but it's rather overkill
for me :)

Well, maybe you need to have a full-sized orchestra in your box, with a separate synthesizer for each individual instrument? ;)

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx