Re: New Computer

On 05/15/2018 09:08 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2018 20:18:43 -1000
david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sounds good to me! Cost? Plus an option for a Ryzen 7 chip? Not that I
could afford such a thing with shipping from the UK. Although I am very
impressed with how well they packed it.

Total cost (including delivery) was 850 ukp, so not cheap.

Sounds reasonable to me for what you go as a custom build.

I had been holding
on to savings for some time specfically for this purchase though, as the
previous machine was 8 years old and showing signs of stress. It was also quite
noisy. The new one is silent, so on a quiet evening I can now very faintly hear
a whine from the backlight of one of my hardware synths :o

Silent/fanless probably wouldn't work here. Hawaii's average temp is a bit warmer than the UK, and we have no air conditioning.

Mine used to have a fanless power supply. It stayed reasonably cool (until it died) but contributed nothing to cooling the array of hard drives that are in the box.

The socket will take a Ryzen 7 and the PSU and heatsink are more than capable.
I doubt whether I'll bother though the performance is better than my needs for
the foreseeable future :)

Yah, but I like to make large panoramas and the software I use supports multicore/multithread CPUs very well. A Ryzen 7 or Threadripper would do. :)

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx