Re: New Computer

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Will Godfrey wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2018 08:09:11 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Will Godfrey wrote:

This is the first time I've installed devuan. Release 2 is based on debian
stretch, so not cutting edge. However it has rt kernel 4.9 and everything else
seems pretty up-to-date. The only slight disappointment is it's slower on
startup, but I may let be able to tweak that.

Wow, you mean you shut your computer down?

I didn't realize that was a thing.   ;)

Oh har-de-har.

I guess I often have a number of windows open (most often a number of terminals) and I don't want to go through the fun of opening, cd to and loose the uparrow functionallity. So I tend to leave my system running 24/7

Actually It's worse than that. The BIG SWITCH (tm) powers up an arduino
controlled sequential switcher. The keyboards are switched on first,then the
computer(configured to run when power appears). Once the switcher sees the 5V
from a USB socket it steps through and switches on all the other kit (amplifier
last). Closing down the computer means the loss of 5V tells the arduino to
switch all the gear off including the supply to the computer (amplifer first
this time). I can re-start by pressing a button on the switcher. So the
only standby power is a 10W switchmode PSU :)

I have just started playing with arduinos and PIs, lots of fun. But my external equipment is just mixer/amp right now... not much of a keyboard player. That sounds like a good setup though.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net