Re: FOSS DAW recommendations

On 17.11.2017 19:11, David Kastrup wrote:
Robert Edge<thumbknucklerocks@xxxxxxxxx>  writes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er7OeIFALN8
Ah, so "(region name)/edit/make mono regions" does not actually edit the
region.  Nor does it make it mono.  Nor does it create mono tracks.  But
it adds two mono regions to the_region_  _list_  (which is rather
inconspicuous and somewhere else on the screen, by default not at all)
from where you can then fill newly created mono tracks.  It doesn't
bother mentioning what it does in something akin to Emacs' echo area,
though: "copied mono regions to region list" would have been a great
hint.

A few years back, I had a similar issue the first time(s) I tried to bounce. Yes, there's a problem with the visibility of the outcome, yes, it's a need-to-know thing. With any kind of notification, you have the issue of it being noticeable enough, without distracting those who already know what and how it will happen.

I would have liked a bounce-in-place just like you might desire a split-to-mono-and-convert-to-2-tracks feature. There's something to be said for "atomic" operations though, not doing 3 steps in combination while not offering any one of those steps in isolation. If you add both single operations and each do-that-and-replace-the-input-with-the-result variant, you likely end up with (even more) unwieldy menus.

There's also the aspect of a region-level operation having consequences on removal and addition of tracks, those again having consequences on routing.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/