Re: FOSS DAW recommendations

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, David Kastrup wrote:

It is very prone to crashes and hangs when anything with the transport
goes wrong, and it's not exactly trivial to restart transport.  Its

I have not had this problem, but that means nothing. I generally do straight almost tape machine style recording of analog signals (I am not a keyboard player and so use very little MIDI if any on my projects) I enjoy the energy (subjective for surre) of live performance and try to get as much of that in the studio as I can. So I might completely miss using parts of Ardour you use all the time. I would think audio device and graphics cards make a difference to stability too. (ICE1712 pci card audio and Intel graphics)

autosave does not just leave a recoverable state but actually saves the
whole thing periodically as the current project, so if you don't know
whether you actually want to commit (or are pretty sure you don't) you
have to turn it off, or quitting without saving will leave you in some
unpredictable state.

That is not quite true. the periodic saves are not saved to the project. However, there are some things (like adding a new track) that do force a save so I can see that getting confusing.

I recently had a demonstration where the mics were wired wrong and so
the two "stereo" channels I recorded on were mixed up.  You think I
managed to split the tracks into mono in order to salvage two usable
tracks?  No beef.  I'd have had to do a stem export and reimport.  Or
something.  Didn't really fit in the demo time frame.

The balance control can be set to -100% for stereo image reversal though. Assuming I understand the problem correctly.

Handling marks (setting, moving them) is always hit and miss.
Manipulating automation with the mouse is hit and miss.  And so on.

I have to admit I have less experience here.

and yes, Ardour can be run quite well with a physical UI. Be it a

For recording a session, I use a nanoKontrol.  Don't want computer fans
or rotating disks anywhere near my mics.  Ardour is fine for making
takes.

It's when you start editing that things get awful.

While I haven't found what editing I have done (not much) easy, it hasn't seemed that bad but I probably don't do enough with enough time pressure to really coment.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net