[linux-audio-user] Three interesting articles

Hi,

These really helped clear up some concepts in digital audio for me...
one being "dithering".  I really had no idea wordlength was such an
important issue, guess it applies even to changes in volume!

The Secrets of Dither
Keeping Your Digital Audio Pure from First Recording to Final Master

http://tinyurl.com/2p5q8

What is dither?

http://www.earlevel.com/Digital%20Audio/Dither.html

Digital Audio at the National Library of Canada
(How the NLC digitizes media)

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/9/1/p1-248-e.html

Reading this reminds me of one of the (IMHO) fundamental yet hugely
important issues in recording digitally: high and smooth input levels.

Just thought I'd share.
(I just noticed qjackctl reports a wordlength of 16, and I can't change
it... hm...)

-ry