Re: Latency issues (Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio)

Am 31.03.2017 um 16:32 schrieb Peter:
Dear All,

while I'm not an audio professional, I found the (emotional) discussion on the
latencies quiet interesting.

Am 31.03.2017 um 15:49 schrieb Len Ovens:

That is exactly it. When playing bass, I find that once I am 30 feet away from the rest of the band

30 feet?, wouldn't that be on >80ms latency. If that's the order where 'disturbing' starts then I find that number interesting, as (if I remember correctly) that's the fastest scale a human can react.

Which brings me to my questions. It might be little bit of topic, but does someone know numbers on the time it takes between wanting to pay a tune, playing it (e.g. on a bass) and the time it takes until one realizes, that the tone is played? I think neurons switching time is of the order of 1 ms, so the physical feedback can take pretty long. Signal velocity in nerves is also not too high. But brain might be cheating in assuming having played. Is anything known concerning the latencies of a musician?

Best regards,
Peter

For me, disturbing starts at a frame rate of 256/2 which means round about 10ms. That is the point were it seems that my brain starts to lock ahead. With a setting of 128/2 (5ms) I've no problems at all. I'm not sure, if I'm able to notice lower latency at all.