Re: Ardour: exporting woes

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Will Godfrey wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 07:28:58 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Having said all this. I personally wonder (yes I invite comments) about
the future of jackd (both 1 and 2). All our software is pushed by personal
itch and it seems to me that there is little if any personal itch left in
the jackd development camp. Plugins and internal routing are making jackd
less useful in some cases... but there is still a lot of SW that depends
on jack for it's use.

This is rather like the home audio argument: all-in-one or separates.

Personally, I go for the separates every time. You have far more flexibility
and are not constrained to what the maker supports.

I agree. The comments I am looking for are as to how much interest there is for actually maintaining and improving jackd (1 or 2) in the development community. No matter how useful a project is, if it is not kept up, it will die. All of the stuff I have set up personally use jackd2. But I have looked at what I do and could use jackd1 comfortably as well (even with pulse audio and no patches). There are a lot of projects and groups of projects that depend on jackd and I want to see at least some version "make it".

Personally, I would like to see a version of jackd that can replace pulseaudio OOTB. I only use PA as a front end for jack right now as it is, but integration would be better. It would allow for things like skype needing longer latency than 256/2. That is jacksouce/sink should add it's own buffering. I would like to see a Jackd3 that truely replaces both jackd1 and jackd2 in a way that no one really has reason to keep using them.

Unfortunately, my DSP coding is such that for me to try to develop a jack3 would just make sure that people kept using jack1/2 :P

Right now, PA with jackdbus as a backend is my personal sweet spot for all around use. (means - can be set up on my wifes computer and I can walk away)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net