Re: (Ardour) How to get rid of delay when recording ? - status so far

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 2:30 PM, jonetsu@xxxxxxxxxxxx <jonetsu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:16:23 -0500
Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> They are not hidden anywhere.

> The QJackCtl setup dialog shows you ALL the parameters. JACK's default
> parameters are identified on the man page and they are very few.

There's an obvious conflict in execution between the jackd that gets
launched at boot with the -p256 option, and the stored configuration in
qjackctl that shows buffer size 128.

if you use jack2 with its dbus integration, starting it via jack_control then the current and default parameters can be seen using jack_control.

My suspicion goes around pulse audio since the pulse jack sink is
activated.  An emacs grep-find through all /etc/ and its subdirectories
only reports two instances of the string 'jackd', in limits audio.conf
and default.pa (that one being jackdbus).  Still a mystery where jackd
gets launched, where are the parameters stored.  And, why aren't the
qjackctl params observed (where would these be stored ?)

when jackd is auto-started by a client, it takes its command line from ~/.jackdrc. This is documented. client-auto-start is controversial.

The pulse jack sink allows use of, for instance vlc and firefox for
audio output.

> In general, starting JACK at boot time is a mistake.

Why would that be ?

because jack might stop, or you might need to stop jack, and then you have no standard way to restart it except by rebooting.