Re: ground loop hell

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 05:43:39PM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:

http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_HE18.pdf

It will probably work, but one designed for lower impedance
(and higher levels) would be better.

Right, I found one. It also has three styles of connector (XLR/TRS/RCA) so cabling will be easier. They are available from a local store too which is another plus.

Having "solved" my problem with a single power source, would it
still be worth while isolating all stage amps from the mixer?

That isolation is worth having, always. In modern PA systems
it's done by using optical fibre snakes. If ever you consider
replacing your current gear that would be a good option.

I will order the boxes (I think 6 lines worth will cover anything possible with the mixer we have). I was going to put in a network cable anyway (if we use it right now or not) but could aslo put in optic line(s). Are they subject to degradation with time if not in use? It is not a long run at less than 100ft (this includes running it up above the ceiling and dodging open rooms etc. The dx from stage to mix is less than 50ft.)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net