Re: ground loop hell

On 02/08/2015 08:42 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
I want yes :)  Right now I don't have. The snake is old and the monitor
returns are signal and ground  :P

Do you have unused balanced sends on the snake? If so, you could swap the gender of both ends and make them into returns. If not, you could swap the unbalanced return connectors to balanced, use the two conductors for hot/+ and cold/-, and leave the ground pins/sockets unconnected (with a warning label at both ends). If it's wired right and there's only the two monitor returns, you'll probably never notice the cross-talk.

Another option is to pull more twisted shielded pairs.

I am not afraid to spend money, but I would like to put it to the best
use as it is limited. Fixed grounding comes before new equipment in my
book.  ... There have been two very large breaker
pannels installed already and there are many inspections to go through
ahead. I am going to set up a plan for power, signal and data for audio.

It would be wise to complete the engineering before going further with construction.

Even if you are an electrical engineer, electronics technician, and/or electrician, you might want to get a second set of eyes checking your designs.

I will do a second for stage lighting as well, if for no other reason
than keeping the audio power from being used for lights  :)

It is wise to put lighting on it's own feeder and panelboard.

If your non-linear loads are significant, beware of harmonics. Solutions include oversized neutrals, specially designed transformers, shielding, etc..

If I need
more than one breaker for audio power, I will make sure it is on the
same phase.

You should balance your loads evenly across all phases at every level of the power system -- from the service down to the branch circuit panelboards. Load imbalance creates a whole new set of problems.

David