Re: ground loop hell

On 02/09/2015 11:38 PM, Roger wrote:
These articles may be of interest.
http://www.rane.com/note151.html
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Thanks.

I have worked at the same venue for many years and have noticed more
frequent problems recently with hum and buzz
with some bands' equipment while most are perfectly fine. I suspect
changes in the grounding such as corroded
ground rod connectors or dryness in the soil they are in. The boss is
investigating.

There are electrical contractors that specialize in testing/ commissioning electrical systems. You might want to find one.

The previously
mentioned 750 foot run may be a problem though with probable significant
voltage drop.

I researched that in the past, and seem to recall that good quality balanced equipment (e.g. with good driver chips) and good quality XLR cables can send a signal ~900 feet before the high end starts to roll off.

David