Re: Initial msm8909 support

On Tue 19 Dec 09:30 PST 2017, Will Newton wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Will Newton <will.newton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Will Newton <will.newton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a git tree with my initial start at msm8909 support in Linux 4.9 here:
> >>
> >> https://bitbucket.org/andromedauk/msm8909-linux
> >>
> >> It's based off the Linaro Qualcomm landing team tree (with Android
> >> drivers merged too for no useful reason).
> >>
> >> The current state is that pinctrl is pretty much done, regulators are
> >> mostly done, clocks is quite hard to say as I'm not doing a good job
> >> of parsing the docs right now. The serial port works! I've seen the
> >> USB driver enumerate a hub but not tested any further.
> >>
> >> Outstanding tasks:
> >>
> >> 1. Semi-random resets during boot. Occasionally the board will reset
> >> for no obvious reason during boot. I suspect this is something to do
> >> with regulators as it usually seems to be around the time something is
> >> setting voltage and turning on initcall debugging seems to make it
> >> less likely to happen (by slowing the boot).
> >
> > FWIW these resets go away if I disable the wcnss driver in the dts.
>
> Specifically the code that triggers the reset is the call to
> qcom_scm_pas_auth_and_reset in qcom_wcnss.c. If I comment that call
> out then the boot seems to be stable. Does anyone have any ideas what
> might cause that behaviour?

It's worth noting that there are two sets of errors that occurs in
qcom_scm_pas_auth_and_reset(); either the implementation of the call
itself fails - typically from the lack of clocking of the crypto block -
or if the call succeeds the ARM core in the WiFi subsystem will start
execute the firmware and this might access hardware with expectations on
what the Linux side has configured.

Looking at the pronto in 8916, the only two pieces that comes to mind is
that either vddmx or vddpx are off; or that there are some other nuances
here that I missed when specifying the associated resources - which
isn't needed on the db410c.

Iirc any issues related to the iris (external RF module) will result in
a controlled crash of the remoteproc, not a full system reset.

Regards,
Bjorn