Re: First steps with my Google Nexus-4

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:25:51 PM CEST Sedat Dilek wrote:
>
>> [ First questions ]
>>
>> Where moved "arch/arm/mach-msm" (don't see it in Linus Git)?
>> Has Linux v4.4.y support for all the devices? Is it a solid base?
>> Need a more modern Linux-version.
>> ( I have not looked into the official tarballs from Google in [1] ).
>
> mach-msm never supported any of the modern parts on a mainline kernel
> and was suffering from bitrot to the point where we ended up removing it.
>
>> The CM-wiki says ARM-SoC is Qualcomm APQ8064 and GPU is Adreno 320.
>
> I think you are lucky here: this is the same chip as Nexus 7, which
> is one of the few Android devices that have a high degree of upstream
> support.
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/680109/ has done some work on which you
> can probably build here. Without that, your chance of success would
> be fairly minimal.
>
> Just start with this kernel tree and add what you need:
> https://git.linaro.org/people/john.stultz/flo.git/shortlog/refs/heads/flo-WIP
> If you compare the original android sources for Nexus 7 (2013) and
> Nexus 4, you can probably figure out what is missing.
>
> I'm guessing that working Modem support is the biggest challenge here,
> if you don't absolutely need to make phone calls you should be able
> to get it working.

[ Björn moved to Linaro ]

Hi John,

what is the base for your flo-WIP Git branch?
Linus tree? Linux-next? An ARM Git tree "for-next"?

What "OS" are you running in that video (LWN article, see above)?

FYI:
I downloaded "flo-lmy48t" (Nexus-7) to compare with "occam-lmy48t"
(Nexus-4) - both for Android v5.1.1 and the same build-nummer.

Let's see...

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers#flo