First steps with my Google Nexus-4

Hi,

I just checked the MAINTAINERS file in Linus tree and writing as a
newbie in concerns of ARM architectures.
So that's why I CCed people from whom I think I can get a helpful answer.

Dunno how long my "lifetime-battery" will hold and it looks like such
a cool Nexus-4 can make my life more happy.

Getting older and wiser I want to use "stable" versions of whatever I
use on any computer-systems, now.
one of my next projects is to get a more modern Linux-kernel running
on this beast.
Linux v4.4.y LTS is currently my (stable) base on Ubuntu/precise AMD64.
But I have no experiences with Linux on ARM.

[ First steps ]

First of all, I have updated my first smartphone a Google Nexus-4
(LG-E960 with 16Gbyte) with all available software-updates.
AFAICS there is no more support than Android v5.1.1.
Latest build is "lmy48t" and the codename "mako".

[ Alternatives? ]

Before flashing an alternative OS like CyanogenMod (CM) I wanted to
get familiar with vanilla Android.

[ A real alternative? ]

I gasped at CM Git and there is a "cm-13.0" development branch for
Android 6 "marshmallow" kernel.
So there is a big pull-request where I looked into - it is still based
on Linux v3.4.

[ First questions ]

Where moved "arch/arm/mach-msm" (don't see it in Linus Git)?
Has Linux v4.4.y support for all the devices? Is it a solid base?
Need a more modern Linux-version.
( I have not looked into the official tarballs from Google in [1] ).

The CM-wiki says ARM-SoC is Qualcomm APQ8064 and GPU is Adreno 320.

I guess I need a cross-toolchain for AMD64.

As said I am new to all this.
If you have any cool hints...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,