Re: First steps with my Google Nexus-4

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:25:51 PM CEST Sedat Dilek wrote:

> [ First questions ]
>
> Where moved "arch/arm/mach-msm" (don't see it in Linus Git)?
> Has Linux v4.4.y support for all the devices? Is it a solid base?
> Need a more modern Linux-version.
> ( I have not looked into the official tarballs from Google in [1] ).

mach-msm never supported any of the modern parts on a mainline kernel
and was suffering from bitrot to the point where we ended up removing it.

> The CM-wiki says ARM-SoC is Qualcomm APQ8064 and GPU is Adreno 320.

I think you are lucky here: this is the same chip as Nexus 7, which
is one of the few Android devices that have a high degree of upstream
support.

https://lwn.net/Articles/680109/ has done some work on which you
can probably build here. Without that, your chance of success would
be fairly minimal.

Just start with this kernel tree and add what you need:
https://git.linaro.org/people/john.stultz/flo.git/shortlog/refs/heads/flo-WIP
If you compare the original android sources for Nexus 7 (2013) and
Nexus 4, you can probably figure out what is missing.

I'm guessing that working Modem support is the biggest challenge here,
if you don't absolutely need to make phone calls you should be able
to get it working.

> I guess I need a cross-toolchain for AMD64.
>
> As said I am new to all this.
> If you have any cool hints...

The prepackaged cross toolchain for Debian and Ubuntu normally
works great, see
https://packages.debian.org/sid/devel/gcc-5-arm-linux-gnueabihf

	Arnd