Re: External display on the x13s?

On Sat, Nov 04, 2023 at 07:35:07AM -0400, Brian Masney wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 3:04 PM Bjorn Andersson
> <quic_bjorande@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > With the ADSP remoteproc and pd-mapper running, and pd-mapper being able
> > to pick up the json files you should get your power-supply, and you
> > should get your USB Type-C events.
> >
> > Unless I'm mistaken, there's still some issue with Gnome, but you should
> > be able to validate if the display is detected using "modetest -c". It
> > should present you with a eDP-1, USB-1 and USB-2 (or eDP-1, DP-1, DP-2
> > now in the future).
> >

> > For reference, I'm running v6.6 with no modifications and built straight
> > from the upstream defconfig. I just confirmed that I can drive my 4k TV
> > (at 30Hz...) over HDMI with that.
>
> The issue ended up being my HDMI adapter since it looks like it's
> thunderbolt. I found a different USB-C to HDMI adapter in my box of
> cables and it's now detected on the x13s.

Woho!

> However, mutter crashes and
> I believe it's this issue:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/2398

:(

> To get Fedora 39 on the x13s, I had to take the nvme drive out, put it
> in a USB caddy, dd the image to the drive using another computer, and
> modify the grub config. It looks like Fedora's initramfs is missing
> one or more modules that's needed so that the USB storage is detected.
> I'm going to look into that as I have free time. I heard from Andrew
> that there is (or was) an issue on boot up where the USB voltage
> drops. Is that still an issue?

I've not scoped the cable, or analysed the problem further, but the USB
bus is at least re-enumerated when the USB Type-C firmware is loaded by
remoteproc.

> For the search engines: To get Fedora 39 booting on the x13s
>
> directly dd the image using a different computer as I describe above
>
> Mount the second partition and edit the loader/entries/xxx.conf file
> on that partition:
>
> Under options, remove 'quiet' and add 'arm64.nopauth clk_ignore_unused
> pd_ignore_unused'
> Add a new line:
>
>     devicetree /dtb-6.5.6-300.fc39.aarch64/qcom/sc8280xp-lenovo-thinkpad-x13s.dtb
>
> Put the drive back in the system.
>
> To persist the kernel options once you boot the system, edit
> /etc/default/grub. Change this line to:
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="arm64.nopauth clk_ignore_unused pd_ignore_unused"
>
> Add a new line GRUB_DEFAULT_DTB=/dtb/qcom/sc8280xp-lenovo-thinkpad-x13s.dtb
>
> Fedora 39 currently has the 6.5.6 kernel and you can upgrade to a 6.6
> kernel with:
>
> sudo dnf copr enable @kernel-vanilla/mainline-wo-mergew
> sudo dnf upgrade 'kernel*'

Thank you for sharing,
Bjorn

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Sparc]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]