Re: ARM defconfig files

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> How about instead of using full defconfigs, we use minimal ones and
> let the rest be determined with defaults.

I wouldn't mind that either, but there needs to be some way to check that
they _are_ minimal. Which is more complicated than even SAT, afaik.

So the reason I don't like the "minimal defconfig" notion is that a
"regular defconfig" will work equally well, and lazy people will thus not
bother to make it minimal (because it's work) and instead just pick the
full config output.

And we're all lazy. So gearing the process towards something that makes it
easy for lazy cases to do the wrong thing is a bad thing.

We also don't have any way to "source" these config files from each other,
so there's no way from within such a config file to say "use the basic
omap3 defaults an then just add this on top". You can do it by
concatenating several such files manually from the Makefile or whatever
script, of course, but then you end up with the files themselves not
actually describing what they do.

That's why I suggested the Kconfig format instead. It's the exact same
idea, but it's a "before pre-processing" format that already supports
including other files.

		Linus