Re: [RFC v3 01/26] asm-generic: atomic64: allow using generic atomic64 on 64bit platforms

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 04:00:41PM +0200, Octavian Purdila wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:49 PM Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 02:24:38PM +0200, Octavian Purdila wrote:
> > > I was not aware that not allowing GENERIC_ATOMIC64 was intentional. I
> >
> > It might not have been, but presented with this patch, I feel like it
> > should've been :-)
> >
> > > understand your point that a 64 bit architecture that can't handle 64
> > > bit atomic operation is broken.
> >
> > (sadly they actually exist, I shall name no names)
> >
> > > One way to deal with this in LKL would be to use GCC atomic builtins
> > > or if that doesn't work expose them as host operations. This would
> > > keep LKL as a meta-arch that can run on multiple physical
> > > architectures. I'll give it a try.
> >
> > What is this LKL you speak of and how does it do the 32bit atomics?
> >

> LKL is a build of the Linux kernel as a library that can run in many
> environments including multiple architectures and OSes [1]

Thanks, I'll put it on the to-read list.

> For 32bit atomics LKL also uses the asm-generic implementation. It is
> very similar with generic 64bit atomic implementation and it is used
> by multiple 32bit arches. I think this was my original reasoning for
> this patch and not going with C11 atomics.

Uh no, asm-generic/atomic.h is radically different from lib/atomic64.c.

asm-generic/atomic.h builds all required atomic operations from
cmpxchg() (loops), while lib/atomic64.c builds 64bit atomics by using a
hashed set of spinlocks.

The asm-generic stuff gives you real atomic ops, albeit sub-optimal,
lib/atomic64.c gives you a turd.