Re: [RFC v3 01/26] asm-generic: atomic64: allow using generic atomic64 on 64bit platforms

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 02:24:38PM +0200, Octavian Purdila wrote:
> I was not aware that not allowing GENERIC_ATOMIC64 was intentional. I

It might not have been, but presented with this patch, I feel like it
should've been :-)

> understand your point that a 64 bit architecture that can't handle 64
> bit atomic operation is broken.

(sadly they actually exist, I shall name no names)

> One way to deal with this in LKL would be to use GCC atomic builtins
> or if that doesn't work expose them as host operations. This would
> keep LKL as a meta-arch that can run on multiple physical
> architectures. I'll give it a try.

What is this LKL you speak of and how does it do the 32bit atomics?

One thing to keep in mind is that the C11 atomics (_Atomic) don't
trivially map to the LKMM -- although I keep forgetting the exact
details, there is a paper on it somewhere.  Also, once you're limited to
a specific arch the issue also becomes much easier than C11 vs LKMM in
general.