Re: Warning Banner

Thornton Prime wrote:
Personally, I see little utility in these warnings. My reading of the
law surrounding computer system access suggests that there is no legal
weight in these warnings, and that the system owner (company or
government entity) has the right to monitor or prosecute without such
warnings. At my last job, one of the lawyers agreed, saying that the
real weight is in a statement in an employee handbook -- clicking an
"OK" button on screen does not constitute a contract.

IINAL, but these banners or warnings are apparently a nuisance at best.

From a legal standpoint, of course I agree. On the other hand from my administrative point of view I find them very useful. I use these things for everything from helpful hints for users to warnings about recent updates to the system.

I admin a few hundreds of Linux clients in public labs in a university setting, I realize not everybody will have this need.

--
Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu