Re: Warning Banner

On 11/30/05, Kirkwood, David A <DAVID.A.KIRKWOOD@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ingress route is all inclusive. /etc/issue does not satisfy the requirements
> for X11 greeting
> and user intervention to complete the login process. For the terminal logins
> I know I
> can use a combination of the /etc/login, profile,  and so forth, but the
> problem is the X11
> screen criteria...

For X11 you can modify the Welcome in the gdm.conf or you can add a
command that will pop up a window in the global Xsession.

If you want something all-inclusive, you can look to adding a PAM
module and add acceptance of your terms as an authentication
requirement.

Personally, I see little utility in these warnings. My reading of the
law surrounding computer system access suggests that there is no legal
weight in these warnings, and that the system owner (company or
government entity) has the right to monitor or prosecute without such
warnings. At my last job, one of the lawyers agreed, saying that the
real weight is in a statement in an employee handbook -- clicking an
"OK" button on screen does not constitute a contract.

IINAL, but these banners or warnings are apparently a nuisance at best.

thornton
-