dump on ext3

Does dump work reliably on an ext3 filesystem?

Here's the senario:

I have a raid 5 linux system ( RH 7.3 ). I currently backup the system to
tape in case of catastrophic failure. I am up to multitape backups for full
user partitions.I want to use incremental dumps and spread my full system
dumps further apart, but tme man page says dump can be used for ext2. There
is no mention of ext3 one way or the other. Assuming 1 tape drive, the need
to do backups unattended, the inability to shut the system down
everttime I need to dump files, I need to use dump unless someone has a
better solution. New backup h/w etc in not an option as i have already
submitted need for tape library etc and its working its way through the
corporate higharchy but it may be 6 month untill I see something.

As always, all input is appreciated.

Dave
-