Re: dump on ext3

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:13:16PM -0500, Kirkwood, David A wrote:
> Does dump work reliably on an ext3 filesystem?
>
> Here's the senario:
>
> I have a raid 5 linux system ( RH 7.3 ). I currently backup the system to
> tape in case of catastrophic failure. I am up to multitape backups for full
> user partitions.I want to use incremental dumps and spread my full system
> dumps further apart, but tme man page says dump can be used for ext2. There
> is no mention of ext3 one way or the other. Assuming 1 tape drive, the need
> to do backups unattended, the inability to shut the system down
> everttime I need to dump files, I need to use dump unless someone has a
> better solution. New backup h/w etc in not an option as i have already
> submitted need for tape library etc and its working its way through the
> corporate higharchy but it may be 6 month untill I see something.
>
> As always, all input is appreciated.
>
> Dave

I'm not 100% certain of this, but it should work. File system wise, ext3
is just ext2 with a journal inode (which looks like a regular ext2 file).

I suppose it is possible that dump might have a problem with the journal inode
on a mounted ext3 system, but even if that is the case it should be easy to work
around, as it seems Dump 0.4b36 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/dump/
supports ext3 (all versions do, but that's the only one called ext2/ext3 dump).

You might also be interested to read this, from
http://nslug.ns.ca/pipermail/nslug/2003-November/005980.html

-