cd-rom troubleshooting

Hello all,
         I have a strange problem.My cd rom drive opens the cd sometimes
and sometimes it won't.When cd is inserted and it starts reading it, the
screen(display) becomes garbled and the system gets stuck.I will have to
mannually restart the system.

Also most of the times when I start my system,the power led glows but
the system doesn't actually startup then again when I restart the system
manually then alone it starts up.

The first problem happens in WindowsXp most of the times and sometimes
in Linux too.

Please help me  in this aspect or atleast give me few CHECK POINTS by
which  I can diagnose the  problem.

              Thanks  in advance.
Regards-
kaushal