Info regarding IXP2400 Networkprocessor

  I am extremly sorry, if this mail is not relvant to this group. But
those who can help regarding IXP2400 network processor, please go through
it.
  I am K.AnanthaKiran doing M.Tech C.S.E in  Indian Institute of
Technology,KANPUR INDIA. We are working on project, in which we need to
splitt the online traffic onto different streams based on IP,port feilds
in the packet. Here rate of traffic we want to work with is Gbps
level.
  In simple, one interface will keeps on listening all the pkts in
promiscous mode , and those listened pkts has to be redirected through one
of several  interfaces based on the IP,Port feilds in the Pkt. This task
has to be accomplished in a Gbps traffic setup.

 Recently we came to know that, Intel IXP2400 network processor can be the
best choice for the problems of this sort.  I am completely new to this
h/w. Can anybody, please calrify my
small doubts regarding the IXP2400.

  I have gone through the documents related to IXP2400 and some documents
on general network processors. What i got understand is that, IXP2400 will
connect to normal PC, through PCI-bus of that PC. And all
Ethernet-Interfaces
 are connected to IXP2400 through some bus.  We will develop programs for
IXP2400,
 in that normal PC only by using  IXP2400 s/w development tools like
Command line interface,
 Microcode C compiler and libraries. The binaries of our programs are
placed in the IXP2400 SRAMs using some instructions, which make it
execute. From now onwards, whatever packet that comes to
Ethernet-Interface, will be intercepted by IXP2400 and redirected through
some other interface accordingly based on my program.

 DOUBTS:
========
  I am not sure how far i understood correctly,but thats what i was able
to understand. Please clarify me, about how IXP2400 gets connected  to a
Host.
What sort of host is needed.Does the normal PC(or host) enough for that or
we need to have a special
Host which is specially made for IXP2400. Please give me what are all
h/w components (like IXP2400 , XScaleProcessor, IXA ) and s/w componets (C
compiler for micro code,Command line interface and libraries) i need to
have to solve my problem. Because i dont know correctly about the use of
above mentioned h/w(XScale processor, IXA).

Please ,it would be a great help for me , even if u can guide me atleast
in this small doubts.

Waiting for ur valuable replies,
K.AnanthaKiran

-