Re: cd-rom troubleshooting

kaushal said:
> Hello all,
>          I have a strange problem.My cd rom drive opens the cd sometimes
> and sometimes it won't.When cd is inserted and it starts reading it, the
> screen(display) becomes garbled and the system gets stuck.I will have to
> mannually restart the system.
>
> Also most of the times when I start my system,the power led glows but
> the system doesn't actually startup then again when I restart the system
> manually then alone it starts up.
>
> The first problem happens in WindowsXp most of the times and sometimes
> in Linux too.
>

> Please help me  in this aspect or atleast give me few CHECK POINTS by
> which  I can diagnose the  problem.

What can we say?  Start swapping hardware until you find the culprit.  I'd
start with that strange CDRom drive, just remove it all together and see
if your PC still acts up.

You're not running a Maxtor hard drive on the same IDE cable are you? ;0)

Hardware problems can be the hugest pain to track down.

Good luck.

Scott.

-