From: Anindya Mozumdar [mailto:anindya@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 01 July 2004 09:43
To: linux-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Root Permissions

Hi,
   Probably I framed the question badly, so everyone has misunderstood
   what I asked. I am not at all interested in reinstalling or
   preventing my friend from doing what he wants. I wanted to know what
   he may have possibly setup so that he can become root any time, so
   that I can do the same. And I wanted to know how it can be reversed,
   so that my own system is protected from such attacks.
Thanks.
Anindya.

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 10:34:25AM +0530, Anindya Mozumdar wrote:
> Hi,
>    The following problem may be trivial to some of you, however my
>    knowledge of linux is limited, and I dont understand how can it be
>    done.
>    In our institute, we use Debian Linux, and the boot loader is lilo.
>    For those machines where the lilo password is not set, ANY ONE can
>    get a root shell by simply interrupting the boot process and typing
>    linux init=/bin/sh in the boot prompt.
>    One of my friends obtained a root shell in this manner, and has
>    either made some changes, or set up some program, by which he can
>    become root any time, without acutally knowing the root password,
>    which is known only to our system administrator. What may be the
>    possible things he has done to setup his program, and how can it be
>    reversed ?
>    Thanks in advance.
> Anindya Mozumdar.
> -
> : send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
---

Anindya Mozumdar
anindya (at) cmi (dot) ac (dot) in

"Bad language isn't second nature to me - it's first. Bad language and bad
 behaviour. It's a f****** winning combination, you've got to admit."
- Ozzy Osbourne
-
-