Re: Slightly OT: Taking Unix/Linux class?

... ciao:

on "2-5-2004" "Eve Atley" writ:

: Red Hat 9 linux server in a small business ... We also own "Red Hat
: Linux Networking and System Administration" ... I don't have the luxury
: of playing with our server

    it is unclear to me, 'why' you want to 'learn' linux.  if it's work
related, you have a problem.  RH, in an M$-esque move, no longer offers
distributions like they did in the past.  RH has gotten expensive.
also, RH almost always 'back-ported' security patches, and in so doing,
kept the 'user' tied to them.
    in addition, if your work environ does not allow adequate time to get
the job done, then you're walking into a situation where you have
ultimate responsibility, and "NO" authority.  trying to 'learn' on a
"production" machine is not a prudent choice in any event, and is not a
good career move.

    it's my opinion, linux not taught, but learned.  if you're serious,
you'll put a system together, and suffer the learning curve involved.
initially, you can expect to break something, and then you get to fix it.

    fwiw:

    (a)  RTFM  (read the fucking manual)
    (b)  'man man'
    (c)  'apropos foobar' a very helpful information template ...

--
... i'm a man, but i can change,
    if i have to , i guess ...

-