Re: Slightly OT: Taking Unix/Linux class?

Well, I'd like to chime in without the rantings of the 'haughty linux
wizards'.    Eve, the course sounds likes it will point you in the right
direction. And some people need courses as a basis to get them started in
the the learning process. The course description of topics to be covered
seems to be a good foundation and progression,  but as suggested earlier
make sure you play around alot.  Somehow get a spare machine (even an old
clunker) and put RedHat on it. If you have access to a bunch of spare
machine, use them all.  I wouldn't recommend dual booting a machine since
I garuntee you'll be blowing up you OS on the quest for knowledge several
times along the way.

Someone earlier suggested Knoppix and I'd recommend against that
suggestion.  Knoppix is Debian based and there is just enough of a
difference at the administration level between Debian and Redhat for the
beginner(as you claim to be) to get very frustrated.  If you cannot get
any spare machines at all,
then your last resort is knoppix.

Learn the basics with the system you'll be using most (Redhat) and then
when the neccessary, sprout out.  Play and read alot.   If you get stuck,
Google can almost always help, even with the toughest of questions.
Messages boards can be useful, but be aware that there are a lot of
arrogant linux users out there.  Just ignore them and listen to the good
guys.

Good luck and have fun.

-