Re: [RFC] ACPI / Processor: add sysfs support for low power idle

On 4/27/2017 3:16 AM, Sudeep Holla wrote:

> On 27/04/17 00:21, Prakash, Prashanth wrote:
>> Hi Sudeep,

>>> No, what I meant is to have complete information broken down to the
>>> lowest possible level, but just one file access to get that information.
>>>
>>> IIUC, you had some format already for summary_stat file, just extend
>>> to get all the information you would get reading individual sysfs files
>>> organized hierarchically. I don't think that should matter much as you
>>> would have all these information, just the representation differs. I am
>>> assuming all this data is not used/interpreted on the fly, but mostly
>>> used offline for analysis. Otherwise it's already misuse and we don't
>>> want to expose such user ABI IMO.
>>>
>>> Just to summarize, though I agree this LPI stats are more accurate and
>>> more representative summary, I think it may fade away as we move towards
>>> hardware controlled lower power states. Since we already have cpuidle
>>> stats, I prefer to keep this LPI stats interface to userspace as simple
>>> and minimal as possible and yet helpful to get all the information.
>> Sounds good. I will remove summary_stats and make other changes based on
>> feedback and post next rev.
> I am sorry if I was not clear earlier, I was infact asking you what if
> we just have single summary_stat file with all statistics broken down to
> minuet details you want instead of creating the hierarchy of individual
> files which you say has overhead to read.
>
> Do you process the stats on the fly when workload is running, I assume not.
I don't see any use-cases for on the fly analysis. The most we might want to
do it capture this data periodically and then post-process it to see how different
phases of a workload did. The overhead of reading multiple files comes down what
could be the duration between reads to this sysfs without drastically impacting the
workload - so it is probably not such a big issue.

While it is possible to simplify by having all the data aggregated into a single
file at each level in the hierarchy, we end up trading some inefficiencies:
- We are reducing the number of file access but increasing the amount of
data read (which user-space may or may not be interested in), including
re-reading the constant fields(desc, latency etc..) every time.
- Adding all info on the same file increases the probability we might break
userspace parsing of this single file when we want add a new piece of
information. While this was possible earlier, the probability was little
lower as it was restricted to only time and usage.
- Another reason to avoid collapsing all the fields to single file is to keep
it consistent with cpudile interface

I was thinking about some of the above issues and when you mentioned
simple and minimal, I interpreted it as lets keep the interface simple by
removing summary_stats and few other fields we discussed. Sorry, my bad.

--
Thanks,
Prashanth