Re: thermal: Avoid CONFIG_NET compile dependency

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 04:48:43AM -0500, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 January 2011 05:47:56 am R, Durgadoss wrote:
> > > The thermal_netlink_events could then only be declared for
> > > thermal_sys.c scope, so that other drivers cannot misuse them
> > > and the netlink event can then get triggered by the driver through
> > > thermal driver callbacks.
> >
> > Yep!! This was my initial idea, with which I added the netlink
> >  support here.
> >
> > If we make the coretemp register with the thermal framework, we have
> >  to modify the sysfs _store and _show functions a bit. Hence, the
> >  coretemp people were not very happy with the idea of making coretemp
> >  register with the thermal framework. So, I just added support to the
> >  core thresholds, and when current temperature crosses them, it sends
> >  a netlink event.
>
> I don't remember the details, but one thing for sure if that you can't
> change the format of existing attributes the hwmon subsystem (and
> libsensors) is using. These are standardized per
> Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface, so they can't be changed. But there
> is no problem with registering a second class device with the thermal
> subsystem and adding whatever attributes you want to have there.

A secondary problem is that thermal subsystem drivers register themselves
with the hwmon subsystem - at least if CONFIG_THERMAL_HWMON is defined.
So it doesn't really make much sense for a driver to register itself
as thermal driver _and_ as hwmon driver, since it may end up being listed
twice as hwmon device.

> Another problem is that we really want pkgtemp to be merged with
> coretemp before intrusive changes are made to these drivers.

Unfortunately, that request seems to go to deaf ears.

Guenter