Re: thermal: Avoid CONFIG_NET compile dependency

On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 02:43:15 PM Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 04:48:43AM -0500, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 January 2011 05:47:56 am R, Durgadoss wrote:
> > I don't remember the details, but one thing for sure if that you can't
> > change the format of existing attributes the hwmon subsystem (and
> > libsensors) is using. These are standardized per
> > Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface, so they can't be changed. But there
> > is no problem with registering a second class device with the thermal
> > subsystem and adding whatever attributes you want to have there.
> >
> A secondary problem is that thermal subsystem drivers register themselves
> with the hwmon subsystem - at least if CONFIG_THERMAL_HWMON is defined.
> So it doesn't really make much sense for a driver to register itself
> as thermal driver _and_ as hwmon driver, since it may end up being listed
> twice as hwmon device.
Having a very quick look at coretemp, this one only provides thermal data,
right?
So it should register as a thermal driver which in turn tells userspace
that lsmsensors can retrieve data from it.
The data would then get exported via:
/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/
and the whole platform code can get removed.

Do I miss something?

   Thomas