Re: thermal: Avoid CONFIG_NET compile dependency

Hi,

On Monday, January 24, 2011 05:39:26 AM R, Durgadoss wrote:
> Hi Rui,

> This refers to the patch that you acknowledged.
> So, you are not missing any patch in the middle.
>
> Also, the thermal_aux0 and _aux1, we can use the final format specified by you.
> enum events {
>  	THERMAL_CRITICAL,
>  	/* user defined thermal events */
>  	THERMAL_USER_AUX0,
>  	THERMAL_USER_AUX1,
>  	THERMAL_DEV_FAULT,
>  };
Something else...
I've now seen your HW specific core/pkg temp threshold support.
I didn't look at it that closely, but if you introduce generic
thermal netlink events in the thermal driver those should match
all kind of possible thermal events, not only the once introduced
by the driver you added.

For example it would be great to get the ACPI specific thermal
events which are currently exported as ACPI driven ones:
drivers/acpi/thermal.c:acpi_thermal_notify()
integrated there as well. So there should also be events like:
>  	THERMAL_CRITICAL,
>  	/* user defined thermal events */
>  	THERMAL_USER_AUX0,
>  	THERMAL_USER_AUX1,
>  	THERMAL_DEV_FAULT,
THERMAL_PASSIVE
THERMAL_ACTIVE
THERMAL_HOT

At some point of time we should be able
to get rid of the ACPI specific thermal events at all?
There seem to be nothing like a kind of
"available netlink events and their format" API in Documentation.
Each driver seem to do this and document it itself.
But as it is an interface to userspace, these thermal netlink events
should get documented in:
Documentation/thermal

Currently you only export one of the above 4 thermal events as a
number via netlink, right?
Are there any userspace programs you have in mind which should make
use of it?

Some data which should get exported as well:
   - The temperature if available
   - The number of the thermal zone, e.g. if 0, userspace can look
     up sysfs for further info in:
     /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/*
   - The trip point affected if any, e.g. if 0, userspace can look it up
     in sysfs for further info:
     /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_{temp,type}
   - more?

Ehh, this core and package thermal driver you added threshold support,
does this somehow register as a thermal driver?
I can see that it registers for hwmon: hwmon_device_register(&pdev->dev);
But is it somehow connected to thermal_sys.c other than that it just
throws your newly introduced thermal_netlink_events?
This driver should first register as a thermal driver, export
trip points to:
/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_{temp,type}
e.g.
cat trip_point_0_type
critical
cat trip_point_1_type
user_aux0

The thermal_netlink_events could then only be declared for
thermal_sys.c scope, so that other drivers cannot misuse them
and the netlink event can then get triggered by the driver through
thermal driver callbacks.

Rui: What do you think?
This implementation looks much too static, could you help to better
adjust it to the generic thermal driver needs, you know this stuff best.

This is merged already. I wonder whether we still could get a thermal
event netlink API for 2.6.38 which is more robust so that userspace does
not need to differ its version with the next kernel.
Maybe it's best to remove the thermal netlink parts again for now.

     Thomas