Re: patch for video.c driver

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 03:45:44PM -0500, Terence Ripperda wrote:

> NVIF methods implement both notification and query commands. so it's required
> for generating the event and querying the firmware's preferred set of enabled
> outputs.

Ok, got you. In that case the best approach would be for you to add an
input device to the kernel component of your driver which listens for
the notification and then generates KEY_SWITCHVIDEOMODE. The right level
of integration for the preferred set of screens would be to extend the
video output class to support listing the outputs as well as just
performing the switches, then register with that if the platform doesn't
support DGS and co. We're trying to deprecate the proc interfaces, and
in general platform-specific drivers should hook into generic interfaces
rather than overloading the functionality of the existing ACPI drivers.

Do you have any examples of machines that have this requirement?
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx