Re: patch for video.c driver

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:08:12AM +0800, Zhang Rui wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 23:47 +0800, Terence Ripperda wrote:
> >  The intent was to follow the same architecture that the
> > video.ko driver already follows and to make the support generic enough for
> > many different users. For example, above I mentioned that both NVIDIA and
> > other vendors have ACPI extension methods, the support we're adding would be
> > usable by all such vendors.
>
> Makes sense, although the other vendors usually offers a platform
> specific device rather than a platform specific control method.

Mm. I don't see any reason for video output switching to be handled in
kernel. It's fundamentally behaviour that depends on the user's
preferences, so the logical way to handle this is for the event to be
sent to userland (as it is currently) and for a userspace agent to then
turn this into an xrandr event. The only thing that currently prevents
this from working with the binary nvidia drivers is the fact that they
don't appear to support xrandr for output control. I'd prefer it if we
didn't work around X driver shortcomings by adding interfaces to the
kernel.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx