Re: patch for video.c driver

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:47:26AM -0700, mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:36:04PM -0500, Terence Ripperda wrote:
>
> > in the case I'm trying to fix here, a vendor is using the NVIF ACPI
> > extensions, rather than the DGS/DCS methods. not all vendors use these, but for
> > the ones that do, there's no other way to get the hotkey information. our fix
> > here is to update the video.c driver to acknowledge the NVIF methods and pass
> > the methods on to the userspace daemon.
>
> I'm not quite clear on what you mean by the hotkey information here. As
> far as I'm aware, we don't use DCS/DGS support for anything on Linux
> since it often seems to be either broken or just filled with incorrect
> information.

heh, I suspect that "incorrect information" is some of the per-vendor
customization.

our X driver currently handles hotkeys itself, by registering with acpid and
interacting with the video.ko driver. the video.ko driver passes the DCS/DGS
information to us via acpid & procfs. acpid alerts us to the hotkey and we use
procfs to get the DCS/DGS info. the display device ids returned by the SBIOS
tend to follow the ACPI spec, but there are a lot of customized cases. Nvidia
opted to implement these to avoid OEM confusion between Linux & Windows (display
switching order).

> > currently the nvidia X driver handles the control logic and display change
> > actions on our boards. this was written a couple of years ago and due to nothing
> > else in place at the time. we'd prefer to switch to a more generic mechanism in
> > line with what the community is working on. my understanding is that there is
> > work on a daemon that relies on X RandR 1.2. I would like nvidia to get involved
> > in and support that effort. (and I admit nvidia is behind on getting our X RandR
> > support up to 1.2)
> >
> > even once that's done, you'd still need the patch (or a similar patch) I'm
> > suggesting for this infrastructure to work on NVIF-based platforms. userspace
> > logic for parsing the NVIF methods would also be needed; I'm working on getting
> > sign-off to release that IP for general linux support.
>
> Yeah, this is the bit I don't understand. The design we've adopted for
> output switching ignores any BIOS provided information, and instead just
> enables outputs based on the user preferences. The X driver then has
> responsibility for performing the actual switch. Nouveau appears to be
> able to handle this on nvidia platforms without any problem. So, really,
> I guess I'm not clear on what functionality NVIF is intended to provide
> here. Is it impossible to enable outputs on some systems without it?

yes, this is what I mean by platform customizations. some notebook platforms
will rely on the DCS/DGS methods to perform hotkeys, others will rely on other
mechanisms, such as NVIF methods. I suspect you'll find that nouveau's mechanism
will work on a lot of notebooks, but not work at all on other notebooks.

in your case, are you receiving the acpid hotkey event, then choosing the
display switch order based on user customization/distro defaults? or are you
even just looking for the keypress sequence, independent of the acpi subsystem?