Re: Kernel Version specific vendor override possibilities needed - Revert and provide osi=linux or provide a replacement

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 12:13:24AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > It doesn't punish them. They're the ones who are going to work with us
> > to ensure that Linux works on their hardware, and their needs are going
>
> And since when we have to work exactly like Windows (whatever version) does
> in THAT case?
>
> Also, why would one thing (proper replacement for OSI(Linux)) cause any sort
> of difference over the other (trying to be bug-to-bug compatible with
> Microsoft crap).

Offering OSI(Linux) makes a statement about our implementation - we're
telling the firmware that it behaves in a certain way. That lets vendors
start depending on that behaviour, and if that behaviour turns out to be
different to Windows then we never get to fix that behaviour. Fine for
vendors that have special-cased their firmware, bad for the vast
majority of systems.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
-