Re: Kernel Version specific vendor override possibilities needed - Revert and provide osi=linux or provide a replacement

Let's look at this differently. Most hardware is produced by vendors who
don't care about Linux. We need to make that hardware work anyway. The
only way we can achieve that is to be bug-compatible with Windows.
Therefore, any way in which Linux behaviour varies from Windows
behaviour is a bug. The only reason to export any indication that the
kernel is Linux is because our behaviour is not identical to Windows.
But, given that that's a bug, the solution should be to fix Linux and
not to encourage vendors to put workarounds in their firmware.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
-