ACPI hang on startup, inconsistent

I'm seeing a fairly strange hang on my Foxconn G9657MA with firmware 50.

Upon bootup I get a hang while working with ACPI. With ACPI debug statements turned on, it hangs after (Kernel 2.6.21.5 stock):

[...]
Compat vDSO mapped to ffffe000.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
Freeing SMP alternatives: 12k freed
ACPI: Core revision 20070126
Parsing all Control Methods:
Table [DSDT](id 0001) - 694 Objects with 62 Devices 187 Methods 43 Regions
 tbxface-0587 [02] tb_load_namespace     : ACPI Tables successfully acquired
[hang occurs here]

The kicker is these few observations:
1) Booting off the Ubuntu 7.04 CD seems to always works fine.
2) Booting off the Windows XP CD seems to always works fine.
3) Booting with ACPI=OFF always works (but then my PATA port fails to work)
4) the trick: If I let it boot with ACPI=OFF past the timeouts while detecting the above PATA port, and then immediately control-alt-delete reboot the machine, it will once boot fine without ACPI=OFF, just that one time!

When I did get the machine to come up, I was able to grab and decompile the DSDT. There were a couple of errors in it. However should a bad DSDT cause a hang at this point? I believe I've seen some sillyness such as "Store(Local0, Local0)" and getting "use before assignment" of Local0, but I don't have the DSDT handy right.

Any other hints I could try to get to the bottom of this issue? Let me know if there's some more data I can collect.

Thanks,

-bc

Reference:
If the machine doesn't hang, the next two lines displayed in dmesg are:

evxfevnt-0091 [02] enable                : Transition to ACPI mode successful
CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6700  @ 2.66GHz stepping 06
-