Re: Fw: Re: 2.6.21-rc4-mm1 + 4 hotfixes -- BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 6b6b6ceb -- EIP is at module_put+0x7/0x1f

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 02:33:44PM +0800, Shaohua Li wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 22:18 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > why?
> >
> > Because you have multiple kobjects in the same object.
> >
> > It's just that simple, the lifetime rules for such a thing is almost
> > impossible to track properly.  Don't do it!

> > > I still didn't get the reason why we couldn't do this in the way of my
> > > patch. As I said, there isn't risk to use 'freed memory'. I can make the
> > > 'struct foo' a pointer, but this will mess the cpuidle driver.
> >
> > Again, the main point is you can not have more than one reference count
> > for the same structure.  It just does not work at all.
> >
> > So please, fix the code, it is broken.
> >
> > And yes, I know of other places in the kernel (scsi stack...) that
> > violate this, but that only means that they are wrong, not that it is an
> > excuse for you to do it also.
> We don't use the kobject to track the reference count.

Then what do you use it for?

And it doesn't matter if you use it or not, the reference count _is_
used by the kobject and sysfs code, so you have to be aware of it.

> But anyway, below patch should make you happy.

I'm still confused as to why you are creating these "extra" kobjects.
What are they used for?

But yes, it is "better" in that you are abiding by the reference count
rules properly, although your completion handling seems like it might
get into a deadlock, but I'll trust you that it works properly :)

thanks,

greg k-h
-