Re: Question on ELKS networking maturity

On 2017-02-20 6:49 AM, Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU wrote:
I made the assumption at the beginning that ELKS was reasonably mature
on networking, but obviously I was wrong, and have to revise my
development plan.
ELKS networking was never remotely mature. It was written to use SLIP and as far as I can tell it was only ever minimally functional. Given the show-stopping bugs fixed in the past three years, it makes sense that networking would be put to the side. When something as simple as logging in after logging out freezes the entire system, that's a much bigger priority than networking support. There has also been a general lack of working network hardware available for would-be network devs to test on. I once got a NE2K-compliant 8-bit ISA card but then the 8086 PC it was going to go into blew up.

At one time I'm sure the network programs were working, but it would be safe to assume they are working at "proof-of-concept" quality only.

Assume everything on the network side was test code cobbled together and abandoned; that's basically how it has worked out.

-Jody